Among the promises and hype of many large DCIM vendors, we’ve put together a list of 10 things to take into consideration when choosing your solution.
- Have clear objectives about what you want your DCIM tool to deliver
- Ignore sales & marketing noise that tries to make you buy “nice to haves”
- Avoid “closed” systems with high integration and implementation costs
- Allocate sufficient resources to the collection and importing of accurate data. This always takes longer than estimated
- Think of DCIM as a process not as software, if you don’t have the internal resource to manage your ASSETS, CAPACITY and CONNECTIVITY consider buying DCIM as a Service
- DCIM works very well in a “silo”, although more value is realised when it is used as “Silo-Busting” technology – focus on proving the value in your silo. Trying to promote “silo-busting” technology across embedded silos can be a long and frustrating task!
- Evaluate a wide range of DCIM tools, not just those that sponsor Gartner!
- Carry out a Proof of Concept
- Don’t pay too much for software licenses and features that you don’t need. At least a third of your DCIM budget should be spent on implementation services
- Ensure your project team has experience of DCIM software migrations
By ensuring you consider each of the points above you should end up with a solution that genuinely fits in with your facility and saves you money, rather than splashing out on a solution with a large marketing budget behind it!
AIT offer a comprehensive range of DCIM solutions and services and are trusted advisers for some of the worlds largest organisations. Contact us to find out more about how DCIM can help you.