Data Centre Infrastructure Management (DCIM)
DCIM Enables Data Centre Resource Allocation and Planning
Data centre managers wrestle daily to manage complexity, often with little more than spreadsheets and CAD diagrams. Data centre infrastructure management (DCIM) tools allow you to keep track of rapid change and help you improve the resilience, increase the capacity and reduce the running costs of your data centre.
What are DCIM Tools?
DCIM has come to mean different things to different people and no single definition fits them all. DCIM tools allow you to do some or all of the following:
- Manage assets and control adds and moves to ensure optimal capacity management
- Monitor power and environmental conditions in the data centre to minimize power usage
- Optimise use of space, power and network connectivity to get the most out of your data centre
A key decision to make is what do you want your DCIM to achieve and therefore which parts of the overall solution do you want to adopt. The answers to this question define the best solution for your individual DCIM needs.
Our Approach to DCIM
AIT will work with you to identify the best DCIM option for your needs and help you create a Return on Investment proposal so that you can secure a budget.
We have two main approaches we recommend:
- Adopting a complete DCIM solution from our DCIM partners. These tools encompass the full facets of DCIM. Users adopt these where they want an all encompassing approach and are starting from nothing.
- Using a best of breed component based approach with AIT PIMS (physical infrastructure management solution). This strategy should be used where you already have a partial DCIM solution (already monitoring power use for instance) and wish to extend or upgrade this or would like to focus on one aspect of DCIM, perhaps asset management, and possibly extend the solution later.
As specialists in DCIM we regularly integrate 3rd party and in-house solutions to ensure they meet users needs at minimal costs. We have extensive experience integrating DCIM software in data centres of all sizes including those at British Airways, University of Nottingham and Solihull Council (See our case studies).
If you would like to find out more about Data Centre Infrastructure Management (DCIM) software, call us on 0845 submit an enquiry.